Already have a Username/Password for Transformative Works and Cultures?
Go to Login
Need a Username/Password?
Go to Registration
Registration and login are required to submit items online and to check the status of current submissions.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission's compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published in English, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor).
- The submission file is in DOC or DOCX format. If submitting to a peer-reviewed section of the journal, the instructions in Ensuring a Blind Peer Review should be followed.
- The text adheres to the stylistic and bibliographic requirements outlined in the Author Guidelines.
- Images, such as JPG files, are not embedded directly in the paper but are uploaded separately under the Supplementary Files option.
- All documents, including solicited essays, symposia, and interviews, will be copyedited to bring the document into accordance with grammar and style rules.
Content in TWC is licensed under
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 Unported License.
TWC, not the author, retains copyright. Anyone seeking to reproduce content for profit, including authors, must obtain permission from TWC. Such permission is routinely granted for free. Submit queries to the Editor.
TWC retains copyright for three reasons: (1) because this is standard in the academic journal industry and it streamlines permissions because there is a single point of contact; (2) because we are committed to open access, and our policy ensures that authors cannot abrogate this; and (3) because it permits us the ability to grant reprint requests if the author becomes unreachable.
We are a Gold Open Access journal, allowing postprint archiving according to the standards established by the Bethesda Meeting on Open Access Publishing.
We believe images, including images altered by an artist to create a derivative artwork, and song lyrics may appear in TWC under fair use under US copyright law. Such images and lyrics are fair use because:
- They are lower in resolution and quality than the original.
- They do not limit the copyright owners’ distribution rights.
- They are being used in the context of academic analysis in a manner that contributes meaningfully to our culture.
- They represent only a tiny fraction of the whole artwork.
- They are hosted by the OTW’s servers, and the OTW is a nonprofit organization.
The names and e-mail addresses entered in TWC's Web site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.